Six-monthly visits to the dental hygienist are customary for good oral hygiene. Dental hygienists help to prevent or combat gum disease and the formation of cavities in the teeth. They also give advice on daily oral care.
Treatments offered by dental hygienists are:
- Advice and information on how cavities or gum disease develop and how to establish good eating patterns etc.
- Removal of scale (tartar), plaque and stain
- Information and instruction on oral hygiene
- Thorough teeth cleaning
- Application of sealants to prevent cavities developing
- Application of fluoride
- Preventative treatments
- Oral inspection
- Polishing of fillings
- Smoothing of root surfaces